What does American Academy of Strategic Education offer?
American Academy offers the following basic services for students grades K through 12th :
1) Core Crew (Supervised Independent Study) – available from 8:00 AM~3:00 PM Monday~Friday. Students can use our accredited curriculum or they can bring their own.
2) Club Hub (Academic and Social Clubs) – 20+ themed student-led CLUBS available throughout the week.
3) Essential Discourses & Projects (Discussion-based / Core Subjects Learning) – Classes that incorporate project-based learning for English/Language Arts, math, science, and social studies to encourage critical thinking, builds mutual respect, and strengthens communications skills.
4) Enrichment Lab (Friday Electives & Field Trips) — a variety of academic and elective classes offered each Friday and optional first Friday of the month field trip.
5) Kidspot (Ages 5-7 play-based learning) – 1-3 days a week curriculum focuses on Science, Math, Reading, Writing, Personal Refinement, Teamwork, and Fun.
6) Bridge (Kidspot Extended Learning) – Developed for Kidspot students who are bridging to the Academy next year. Students will work closely with the teacher to learn core subjects through projects that are developed specifically for them.
7) Pathways (Work-based learning) – Provides students with a pathway to deepen education and early career exploration in the fields of Business, Health Sciences, and Engineering.
8) World-Language Immersion – Available in Mandarin, Spanish, and French (starting Fall 2020). World Language Immersion offers a rich bilingual experience for students when their minds are developmentally best able to acquire a second language.
9) Brain Break (Parent’s Night Out) – Every first Saturday night of the month (exclude holidays), parents can take a break to do whatever they like for a night while kids can have fun playing, learning, and relaxing in a safe and supervised environment.
10) Dyslexia Learning Group – American Academy uses a “multisensory” approach to help students overcome dyslexia by using many different senses to make connections between sounds, letters, and words.
11) Boost & Go tutor (Homework Help & Tutoring) – Reasonably priced after-school assistance at your convenience. Schedule upon request.
Does American Academy offer academic curriculum?
Parent’s can select to use American Academy’s recommended curriculum or they may select their own curriculum for their child to study. The curriculum we recommend is standard’s based and covers all core areas, K-12th grade (K~12) including mathematics, social studies, science, language arts, reading, as well as electives and College Board Approved AP (advanced placement) courses and A-G approved courses for students seeking to attend a high-level university. This highly adaptive curriculum is suitable for students who have struggled in every subject to honors students who have never been academically challenged in any subject.
What makes American Academy so effective?
We have found that students need three things to be successful learners:
- The ability to learn at a pace that works best for their learning style.
- Authentic and meaningful interactions with peers.
- Introductions to new subjects and ideas.
American Academy provides opportunities for students to work at their own pace in a quiet space with supervision and guidance. During student’s 15 minute breaks, students engage in building friendships; work in our Invertor’s Corner on wood-building, arts, and crafts; play ping pong, board games, or brain games; or just take a break from the hard work they have just accomplished. Students can join CLUBS that are of personal interest to them. They work on leadership and team-building skills as they work together towards a meaningful culminating event that they produce.
Student’s attitudes toward learning improved and their confidence increased when what they are doing and learning is meaningful to them. Our program takes advantage of the science behind the learning process. We have discovered innovative solutions to teach more effectively and empower students to be college ready and career prepared.
What does a student do during a typical STUDY TIME hour?
Students work independently on their academic core subjects for the first 45 minutes of Core Crew (study time). Students are encouraged to take a 15-minute constructive break. During break time, students can play brain games, play Ping-Pong, create in the inventor’s corner, build robotics, read in the reader’s lounge, take a snack break, etc.
What does a student do during a typical CLUB hour?
American Academy’s Club Hub (social and academic clubs) empower students to learn in subjects most interesting to them. Our Clubs provide excellent opportunities for the student leaders to develop and hone their verbal communication skills and apply their cross-curricular knowledge, making real-world connections. Students work collaboratively on a specific subject that inspires them to learn and lead. Students work from a flexible, 19-week (semester) agenda meeting weekly goals to help them reach an ultimate goal that is determined by the club members. The goal becomes the culminating event for that club at the end of each semester.
What Student-Led Clubs are available at American Academy?
American Academy currently offers a variety of students-leading based clubs such as Archeology Club, Astronomy Club, History Club, Science Club, Math Club, Music/Drama Club, Photography Club, Fashion Design Club, Story Writing Club, Minecraft Club, Digital Design Club, Robotics Club, Entrepreneurial Club, Speech Debate Club, Chess & Strategic Games Club, World Mythology Club, etc.
*Not all clubs listed are offered throughout the year.
How much time per week should a student expect to spend at the Academy?
American Academy encourages students and parents to create a schedule that works best for them. Students who are taking a full course load should plan to spend 14-16 hours per week working on academic courses depending on the student’s ability to focus and the number and type of courses the parent has assigned. It is recommended that students also plan to participate in several clubs and elective classes.
Is American Academy an approved vendor for my Charter school?
American Academy currently works with a number of charter schools. We are currently an approved vendor for the following charters: Excel Academy, Inspire Charter School, iLead Schools, Summit Academy, National University Academy, and Springs. For more information, please see our affiliated Charter School list.
Is lunch served at American Academy?
Students are required to bring their own snacks and lunches to school (no peanuts). Nutritious and wholesome lunches may be ordered through LUNCH MOB at additional cost.
Is my student required to have his or her own computer?
Students are allowed to bring their personal laptops or tablets for use to study their own assigned curriculum or to use during CLUBs, Elective Classes and break time.
Can students work on outside homework?
Yes. American Academy provides a safe learning environment for students to work on any coursework. We strive for maximum flexibility for students and families.
What are the Fees?
American Academy is an independent private learning academy offering affordable payment options. All fees due with application completely fund your child’s education. We do not solicit additional funds, nor do we require any donation of time or service.
2019-2020 Academy Fees:
Please call our enrollment specialist at 949-371-5785
*For additional questions, please contact us online click here or call (949) 371-5785 to speak with one of our admission staff members.